Roman tripe traditional Italian recipe
Roman-style tripe, a classic recipe, a healty second course rich in protein and low in fat, typical of traditional poor Roman cuisine.
This is the right recipe for cooking Roman-style tripe.
Ingredients for 4 people :
- 1 kg pre-cooked tripe
- 400 Gr tomato pulp
- 1 coast of Celery
- 1 carrot
- an onion
- 1/2 glass of white wine
- Mentuccia 3-4 leaflets
- 100 Gr Pecorino
- Extra virgin olive oil q.b
Procedure for making Roman-style tripe:
1. Wash and boil the tripe in a pan with salted water, vinegar and bay leaf.
This will remove the strong smell.
2. Peel and rinse the tripe with cold water.
3. Prepare a mixture with celery, carrot and onion.
Sauté the mince with the garlic and the bay leaf.
4. Add the tripe and stir.
Fry all the ingredients for a while.
5. Add the white wine and let it evaporate over medium high heat, season with salt and pepper and finally add the tomato pulp.
6. Lower the heat, mix everything and continue to simmer with the lid on for at least 2 hours.
7. At the end of cooking add the mint leaves and after turning off the heat, add the grated pecorino romano cheese, stir and serve hot.
For a stronger flavor, those who wish can add more pecorino directly to their plate.
The Roman-style tripe is ready to serve!